Monday, September 30, 2013

Interview Answer To ‘Describe Your Ideal Boss’

By Tabitha Makumi
For nearly four months now I have been hearing my friend who works in a company located in Industrial area complain about his Asian boss who happens to be a no nonsense kind of boss.
“I have to be at work before seven….If he finds us idle during the day he threatens to cut our salary by half……at the evening even if all the work is done, we still have to wait until five to go home….argh!” and that has been the story of my friend’s life for four months.
But enough is enough my friend has decided. She is now job hunting and has been invited for an interview next week. “I just hope that if I get this new job my boss will be easy…you know, someone totally different from my current boss,” she says to me.
Most of us feel the same way but what would you still say “I am looking for an easy going boss” in an interview when the interviewer ask s you to describe your ideal boss?
This is a slightly tricky question and such questions are best answered sensibly .
When answering such a question, try to use terms that are more general than specific and as least categorical as possible.
Stick to traits in a boss that would help you with your job just in case you are asked to explain. Answer with,
“The ideal boss is definitely someone who can be a good mentor, someone who can keeps communication open.”
Or
“An ideal boss is a leader in the working environment that is sensitive towards his/her employees, treats them equally and fair.”
While answering such a question here are things you will need to consider
1.Try to strike a balance whereby you refer to your ability to work independently as well as your comfort with taking specific direction from a boss.
2. Don’t criticize your past supervisor. Your future employer will likely assume you are a difficult employee and don’t be surprised when s/he starts siding  with your former employer.
3. Stop the fantasies of having an all good boss…The fantasies may get you carried so as to imply that you have unrealistic expectations for some super boss out there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment