Monday, September 30, 2013

When Interviewers Ask You Log Into Your Facebook In Job Interview

By Tabitha Makumi,
Let’s be real here….being a Friday and considering how most ‘urban’ Kenyans spend their Friday evenings and weekends, a good throng will probably end up in clubs whether it’s in Lang’ata, Nairobi CBD, Westlands or wherever their hang out joint is.
This will be followed by heavy drinking which will be followed by taking a series of merry making pictures which will end up being posted on, just to name a few… Twitter & Facebook.
That’s just one scenario, here is another…..One Philip Kibet (not his real name) is quite an opinionated guy who likes to post his ‘heavy’ opinion mainly on politics on his Facebook wall…and lest I forget, he is the guy who always leaves a comment on KTN’s, Citizen’s and NTV’s Facebook page with not so good comments.
Or you are that guy or lady who has nothing offensive on their Facebook page.
Sure,  the merry making pictures and the political opinions are personal….but what happens when your future employer asks you to log into your Facebook account during an interview….what will  you do?
You’ve been tarmacking since God knows when, an opportunity came along, you applied, got invited for a job interview and now you are here….log into your Facebook account they tell you.
Are they testing you to see if you can be easily coerced  into doing something you would rather not do? Your heart races and for the life of you don’t know what to do.
Here are three things you can say to get you out of the woods

1.I take my agreements very seriously. And it is against Facebook’s user policy to share my password with anyone else. I’m going to have to respectfully decline your request.
2.I’m sure your firm has a social media policy. Well, it is my own social media policy to use Facebook for personal reasons. I mean no offense, but I’m going to have to decline.
3.Privacy is a very serious matter for me. Should I be employed with your organization, I would honor private company information just as seriously as I honor my own. Even if this means losing a great opportunity for me, I must refuse your request. And know that if I were presented with a similar situation with your private information, I would respond in the same way.
Now, say you hadn’t read this three things which you can say when you are being coerced to log into your Facebook account, what would you say?

0 comments:

Post a Comment