Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sample Chief Accountant Interview Questions & Answers

By Dorcas Karuana,
Here are sample interview questions and answers for a chief accountant position in a job interview.
1. Tell me about yourself?
I am James Waweru, a certified accountant professional with over 7years of work experience as an accountant and finance officer. I am knowledgeable in all areas of accounting/ finance and hold a record of excellence in all functions of management.
I hold a degree in Bachelor of Commerce specializing in Accounting, CPA K and am currently pursuing my Masters in Business Administration. Also, I am a professional member of the ……
2. If we were to call your current supervisor, in which area of accounting would he or she say is your strongest?
Financial Accounting- I am adept in the recording, classifying, reporting and interpreting of a business financial performance and economic conditions to interested users or stakeholders. For example I am knowledgeable in activities and tasks in financial accounting include bookkeeping and preparation of reports called financial statements.
Cost Accounting – I have skills in captures and accumulate manufacturing or production costs for internal use of an entity’s management, used in decision making purpose. The reports prepared in cost accounting are helpful tools for management use in budgeting, product costing or pricing, which can improve the future net margins or profits of the business.
accountant job interview kenya
Accountant At Work
3. What unique skills or knowledge can you contribute to our company?
Skill in performing detailed numerical computations-  In ABC Company, one of my duties was to compare costs and revenues for different investment options. For example, I calculated the different tax liabilities and costs associated with various investments to determine which will generate the greatest earnings and tax savings while maintaining adequate cash flows.
Or In my past work experience; I maintained and monitored budgets for businesses and other organizations. For instance, I helped to create annual master budgets, considering factors such as estimated changes for costs of operations and sales volume and prices of products and services sold. I also monitored these budgets to accommodate variations in costs and revenues.
b)Risk management planning- I am able to analyze data for production, service delivery and sales and generate statistics to describe the growth of business enterprises, changes in revenue and expenses, the composition of markets and other factors. For example, as an accountant for (ABC companies) I analyzed data on the composition of markets and past sales to forecast future sales and to predict growth potential for business enterprises.
3. What type of software programs are you familiar with using?
I am proficient in Ms office, Navision and Accounting Packages(Quickbooks, sage, pastel) among others.
4. Describe a situation where your work was criticized.
One of our customers complained to my supervisor that I did not provide him with adequate information for a particular item that we had in our store. I explained to my supervisor the information that I had shared with the customer and told her that I would call the customer to see what other information he needed. She shared with me that she took care of the situation, and explained that he wanted more details about the product. That was a good learning experience for me. As a result of this situation, I designed a checklist for the department with details concerning our products for all use by the staff.
5. What have you done at your present/last company to increase revenues, reduce costs, or save time?
One of the achievements in my previous work place, ABC Company has been to design and implement a new sales ledger system, bringing it in ahead of time and improving our debtors’ position significantly. This helped in saving the company Kshs 500,000 per month in interest.
6. Why do you want to leave your current company?
There was no room for growth with my current employer and I’m ready to move on to a new challenge and to grow my career with a stable company that has room for growth and opportunity for advancement. When I saw this job posting and I was intrigued by the position which is an excellent match for my skills and experience that I am not able to fully utilize them in my present job.
7. Tell me about a complex project you were tasked with completing under deadline.
I have very good planning and organizational skills. When working on a project, I first develop specific objectives, then plan and prioritize systematically to accomplish these objectives within set time frames. This includes scheduling, identifying and allocating resources and the use of appropriate organizational tools.
8. How do you control errors in your work?
I have always set high performance standards for myself just like I expect of others.  Usually, I pay attention to all aspects of the job, no matter how small it is. I also check outputs for accuracy and reliability.
9. Where do you see yourself five years from now?
In five years I hope to be working with an employer in an increasingly responsible position that enables me to utilize my talents and work closely with my colleagues in solving important problems. I see myself taking on new and exciting challenges in an enjoyable environment and hopefully this will be with your company.
10. What are the major reasons for your success?
Many years ago I learned an important lesson from Johnson Mwangi, who was my first supervisor and really became my most important mentor. He told me his secret to success was to ‘Look at each day as a new opportunity to be your very best.
Set high goals, be honest, never say no, and work with people who share your passion for doing their best.’ I’ve always remembered that advice and try to live it every day. I am very self motivated, determined and honest. I really love what I do and I try to surround myself with people who share similar passions. I thrive on this type of environment.
11. What makes you a great fit for this position?
I have what it takes to solve problems and do the job. This position requires someone who has the ability to solve problems quickly and who can logically add value to the job. I believe my 5 years work experience; I am knowledgeable in all areas of accounting and financial management. In addition, my skills and abilities matches perfectly with the requirement and what makes me the unique candidate is my passion towards my work and industry. Therefore, I’m confident I’ll be the best candidate for this position.
12. What kind of salary are you looking for?
Give a salary range which is acceptable for you. Or answer that: I’d like to have the salary which matches my ability. Yet I’d also like to know the salary scale for this position. Do a lot of prior research about what the company could be paying for the position. Also, compare it with other companies.
E.g  This is a challenging position that is results driven and its overall performance contribute to the goals of the organization. In am bringing on the table, my five years experience in finance and accounting, as well as my skills and abilities to meet your organizational need. I will be comfortable with Kshs 120,000 – 150, 000.

0 comments:

Post a Comment