Friday, October 11, 2013

Resignation Letters: Can An Employer Reject?

By Tabitha Makumi,
If you have the courtesy of drafting a resignation letter before you quit your job, then that’s the right way to do it. You will be surprised by the number of people who just wake up one day and decide to never show up for work again no calls, nothing.
And then there are those who call in and drop the bombshell.
But hold on can a resignation letter be rejected? Can the boss take a look at your letter and tell you, I don’t think so buddy.”
I received an email which read,
Hey…I am in urgent need of advise. I resigned from my post as Clinical Nurse with an NGO in Laikipia  a few months back due to the company being in much financial difficulty and I had the opportunity for another job.
I resigned first verbally by telephone and then later confirmed this in writing, however when I handed in the resignation, my boss refused to accept it and told me to take a second look at my contract which states I have to work there for another 6 months.
I was wondering, can a resignation letter be rejected?
Here is your answer,
An employer cannot turn down an employee’s resignation UNLESS the employee  signed a contract or agreement which states that he/she will stay in the company for a period of years/months.
If this is your present situation then you cannot resign until you have finished the contract agreement or otherwise pay the company.
But if not, then you are free to go my friend, the company cannot force you to stay. If there was no contract in the first place, their refusal of accepting your resignation letter is unlawful. It also means that you have no way of knowing what your rights are or what the employer expects of you.
The resignation letter can also be rejected in situations where the employee’s resignation is un-ethical. For instance, if there had been a prior agreement to work for two years with a company and one year down the line one tenders resignation without notice.

1 comments:

  1. Thanks for Sharing such a Good Career Tips. Recently I did resign from my Current Job. Here with I am sharing my experience for how to write a well formatted resign letter http://jharaphula.com/how-to-write-a-resignation-letter

    ReplyDelete